Why shouldn’t adults enjoy the whimsical play of a dessert on a stick? Here’s a popcorn ball that’s not just for kids!
Traditional popcorn balls are usually loaded with gooey sweetness, but I’ve created a contemporary version with more grown-up appeal. These coffeehouse-inspired popcorn balls are made with caramel, chocolate and espresso powder—what a combination!
Did you know that macchiato means marked or stained? In this case, the popcorn is “marked” with a little espresso. You have to try them—I’ve already eaten 3. Okay, maybe 4!!!!
as photographed by our team, alacartepartners
Caramel Macchiato Popcorn Balls
Makes 6 popcorn balls
8 cups popped popcorn
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon warm water
20 caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 popsicle or craft sticks
- Place popcorn in large bowl. In small bowl, stir together espresso powder and warm water.
- In medium glass bowl, microwave caramels, chocolate chips and espresso mixture on HIGH (100%) power, 1 and 1/2 minutes. Stir
mixture until completely melted.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and quickly stir until popcorn is well coated. Using greased hands, shape mixture into 6 balls.
Insert a stick into each ball.
- Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
- You can use store-bought popcorn; air popped popcorn or your favorite microwave popcorn.
- For a sweeter treat, use kettle corn.
- Instead of forming the popcorn mixture into balls, spread it in single layer on a baking sheet. Let sit for 30 minutes and break into clusters.
- For added coffeehouse flavor, stir 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon into the espresso mixture.