Here at A LA CARTE we are passionate about our Mac ‘n Cheese.
In fact, we have rules.
#1 Mac ’n Cheese must not be from a box. EVER.
#2 Mac ’n Cheese must be made with a quality aged cheddar.
#3 Mac ’n Cheese must not have unnecessary add-ins. No broccoli, no tuna, no bacon, no chicken, no lobster. No exceptions.
Classic Macaroni & Cheese
Makes about 8 servings
1 pkg. (16 oz.) cavatappi pasta ( elbows, gemelli, or penne)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
2 cups milk
8 ounces aged cheddar, shredded
– Preheat oven to 375°.
– Grease bottom and sides of 2-quart casserole.
– Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to cooking pot.
– Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Using whisk, stir in flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until well blended.
– Slowly add milk to flour mixture, whisking constantly. When sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat. Let mixture cool for about five minutes.
– Stir in cheese until melted.
– Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta in pot. Mix well. Transfer to casserole.
– Bake uncovered at 375° for 30 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
In the photo above, we’ve used cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta and a 3 year old extra-aged artisanal cheddar from Grafton Village Cheese Company, called Grafton Gold.
We’d offer to share, but it’s all gone!