I tell you, without a kitchen, my new found friend is the Crock-Pot. I made Pork Chops with Sauerkraut, a blast from the past from my childhood! My Mom used to make this in the oven. When I was a kid, I wouldn’t touch it, but today — I love it. And in the Crock-Pot, the pork is so tender, it slips right off the bone. Caraway seeds and bacon– my secret ingredients!!! OK, I know that bacon is not the best thing for you, but boy, does it add great flavor. You’ve got to live sometimes!!!
– I added some baby potatoes, halved to the sauerkraut mixture. You can also add sliced carrots.
– If you are not a caraway seed fan, just eliminate them.
– Use turkey bacon if you don’t want the extra fat and cholesterol.
– Recipe can be doubled to make 4 servings.
Here’s the recipe:
Makes 2 servings
3 slices bacon
1 bag (16 ounces) sauerkraut
1 small onion, sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 center cut loin bone in pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
– Cook bacon in skillet until crisp, reserve bacon drippings.
– In 5 to 6 quart Crock-Pot, place sauerkraut, onion, brown sugar, caraway seeds and black pepper. Crumble bacon over sauerkraut mixture and add reserved bacon drippings; stir well.
– Place pork chops over mixture. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours.